Tuesday, November 6

How to Make Green Colored Pasta




Every once in awhile I get obsessed with words (aka this blog), but a few nights ago I fixated on colors instead. I was obediently following a pasta recipe and thought it would be more fun to add in some other similar color elements. Successful fun! My son gobbled it down, and said "I like the green pasta, Mom". This recipe was adapted from the magazine recipe called "Spinoccolini Whole Wheat Pasta" (October 2007 issue of Everyday). For other recipes in the same issue try Perfectly Piquant Pumpkin Pasta or Fabulous (almost) Flawless Fish Sandwich and Fries. 





Warning: this recipe is extremely healthy but its fun too. Totally going to do this on Dr. Seuss Day - totally beats the green eggs & ham every single year! 







Ingredients:  
1 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbs butter (unsalted organic)
2 shallots
2 oz fresh spinach chopped 
1/4-1/2 cup broth (I used beef but chicken or vegetable would work too)
Salt & pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder (fresh chopped garlic would work well too)
1/2 tsp dried parsley
2 cups of frozen broccoli (fresh would be great here)
1/3 cup of frozen peas
1/4 tsp smoked sweet paprika
a pinch of nutmeg
1 & 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

How to make green pasta: 

1. Put a pot of salted water on to boil for the pasta

2. In a deep skillet heat up the olive oil with the butter. Add the shallot & garlic (if using fresh) and cook over med low until softened - about 5 minutes

3. Meanwhile, use a food processor to combine the broth, spinach, and parsley to make a thick sauce. Stir this sauce into the pan with the shallots and garlic. If you are using garlic powder like I did, add it into the pan now.  Cook until the sauce is heated - about 2 -3 minutes. 


4. Cook the pasta to al dente, according to directions on the box.

5. Add fresh or frozen small green veggies (like the peas) to the skillet to heat during the last minute of the pasta cooking. Add larger veggies (broccoli) to the pasta water to heat through.*Note any green veggie would work well in here like broccolini, zucchini, or asparagus pieces. 

6. Stir the nutmeg and paprika into the sauce. Add salt and pepper to taste.

7. Drain the pasta and pour the sauce into the pan to combine. Top with both kinds of cheese. 

8. Eat & Enjoy your funny colored pasta





*Disclaimer: while I did make this one while my husband was at work all night, since I didn't know how it was going to turn out, he did take the leftovers to work the next day and gave me his opinion. There is always a few things I make while my husband is gone for dinner. welll. um. Honestly, sometimes healthy really means its not going to taste good. I hate cooking for him without knowing if something was going to flop or not. He did admit the green sauce made him skeptical but it tasted good he just asked for more cheese. I am good with that. So there you go, I got my pizza loving, fast food eating husband stamp, check! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel to comment about the pictures or recipe above. Looking forward to reading your comments. Happy reading, cooking, eating, and sharing good food!