Saturday, January 12

Crockpot Chipotle Apple Turkey Chili & Honey Cornbread: A harvest Cafe Style Speciality Stew



Think about sitting at a cafe with tables, chairs, and music. If that means someplace with pictures on the walls,or tables outside in the late summer sun, with fall breezes... think of that. This is a chili that would be served there... it is distinctive, memorable, and amazing! 

Confession: I made this chili like over a month ago but am still catching my breath from the holidays. Was your Christmas good? I hope so. Ours was actually pretty low-key and relaxed since we didn't travel anywhere to see family. It was filled with gifts, Christmas music and movies, and lots of coffee. I love the flavors of coffee that come out this time of year (gingerbread, pumpkin pie, pumpkin spice, peppermint) but that's another whole addiction, back to food. I had no idea that fruit, specifically apples would taste good with beans and meat but heck yes it does. It doesn't even sort of taste good, it tastes WONDERFUL. My son really liked it too even though he looked at me really really strange when I chopped up extra apple for the top of his bowl. I can imagine he finally thought his mommy had lost it, which may be the case, but that's another story. hahaha. 




I adapted the chili recipe from this one here. The original is a good recipe. I just can't make chili without beans. I know this may spark a debate the whole beans versus no beans in chili but I am not from Texas so yeah I make it with beans because that's how my momma does. I learned to love cooking from her. I made the adjacent recipe in the other blog (the honey cornbread) with only 2 changes. They are listed below. It was amazing too. I recommend doing both! 



Ingredients for chili:
1 cup (6 oz) dried black beans, soaked in water 12 hrs
4 cups of water
1 lb 2 oz of ground lean turkey,
2-3 chopped chipotles in adobe sauce (1 1/4 oz)
1/4 -1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
1/3 cup apple juice
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon or 1 cinnamon stick

1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 Tbs minced garlic
1/2 Tbs ground coriander
1/2 Tbs ground cumin

1/2 Tbs smoked paprika
2 green apples, washed, peeled and diced
1/2 of a lemon juiced
1 cup of chicken stock store bought or homemade
2 bay leaves
2 1/2 oz of tomato paste (approx half a can)


best eaten garnished with: shredded or grated sharp white cheddar cheese, oyster crackers or saltines, & a bit of green tart apple on the top for color, contrasting flavor, and crunch

Directions for chili:


1. Soak the beans for 12-24 hrs before cooking.

2. The morning of cooking the chili rinse the beans, and remove anything suspicious looking.

3. Put the beans in crock pot on low with 4 cups of water.

4. Cook for 5 hrs

5. Cook ground turkey in a skillet over medium high heat with 1 cup of water and the finely diced red onion. When water has decreased by half, add in the salt, pepper, minced garlic, and all remaining dried spices. Continue cooking until mixture is thick and majority of the water has cooked out. 


6. If you are using a nonstick skillet skip this part. If you are using a cast-iron skillet or something else, deglaze the skillet with apple juice. Scrape all the flavorful meat bits off the bottom.

7. Add the meat mixture to the crock pot with the beans

8. Add all the other ingredients (including apple juice if you didn't need it in step 6) to the crock pot. Stir once to combine. 


9. Cook for another 5 hours on low to let flavors develop and hang out.

10. Garnish each bowl with a sliced green apple & handful shredded sharp cheddar cheese (I chopped green apple up instead since I was serving it to kiddos).

11. Serve with Cornbread





Ingredients for Honey Cornbread:

1 cup of buttermilk
2/3 cup of honey
4 Tbs unsalted butter, melted
1 cup of all purpose flour *
1 1/4 cup cornmeal * 
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
2 eggs

* I starred the changes above from the original. It originally called for 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour and only 1 cup of cornmeal and I switched the amounts. 



Directions for cornbread: 


1. preheat the oven to 375


2. In a large bowl, whisk the wet ingredients together starting with the eggs so you can catch any shells that fall in. Continue adding the rest of the wet ingredients. Stir until well combined. Then add the dry ingredients to the bowl. Stir again well combined. 


3. pour into a greased pan. I used my cast iron with a small amount (less than 1 Tbs) of butter melted inside to ensure non sticking... but an 8 x 8 baking dish would work well too


4. Bake for 30 or 35 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick or cake tester comes out clean.  Cool in pan for 5 minutes and then turn out onto a wire rack until ready to serve. 


5. Serve with in cubes or wedges with Chili or Stew, and extra honey or butter (but not really needed). 



Cornbread & Stew serves 6-8 people comfortably. Since there is only 3 in my family we had leftovers for awhile. It was wonderful! Every time I reheated it I added another half of apple in it. This truly tasted like a bowl of late summer harvest. The sweet from the apple, the spice from the chipotles, and meaty bean spoonfuls were a delight. The extra apple also gave a nice contrasting crunch flavor that my toddler enjoyed! 



Enjoy!

from my kitchen to yours! 













No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel to comment about the pictures or recipe above. Looking forward to reading your comments. Happy reading, cooking, eating, and sharing good food!