Wednesday, January 30

Almond Crusted Chicken & Rice

My week is in full swing. How is yours? I worked the last two days and today we went house hunting. I needed a good yummy meal that fit my unusual schedule and was easy. I don't usually go for the easy meals, but after walking around all morning with a three year old reminding him to "look with your eyes" in each model home, I needed an easy night in general. Just give me some dinner and a few short cooking shows and no one gets hurt! Yeah I am boring... limited interests food blog, recipes, cooking shows, food magazines, ect... Its just who I am. I am vegging. The timing of the food was important because I needed something I could make ahead of time for my hubby to take to work for his "lunch" but something that tasted good reheated for my son and I. Usually he takes dinner from the previous evening to work to eat, but the guys were on their own last night. So you can imagine not much cooking was done by those two. Ha! 




So the reason why you should make this dish is because its super easy and yummy. If you still want to cook but veg tonight (being the middle of a tough week) this is it! This is THE easy 25 minute dinner that will please tasted buds but won't make you stand by the stove to "babysit" it. To make this even easier serve with fresh baby carrots or a frozen veg reheated in the microwave. My kiddo had peas at lunch so he got carrots for dinner... I love peas so I am having them twice. 


Recipe is adapted from: Better Homes and Gardens 
May 2009 Magazine 
Feeds 4

2 Chicken boneless skinless breasts, cut in half (butterflied and then sliced) 
1 egg
3 Tbs buttermilk
3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
1/2 cup finely chopped almonds
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dried parsley
1/2 tsp herbes de provence blend - just gives it a punch of flavors all at once to save time
(has thyme, marjorman, rosemary, basil, fennel, sage, lavender)
2 cups white rice ( 1/2 cup per person)
2 cups water
snip of rosemary
1 large bay leaf or 2 small ones
2 cups chicken broth 



Directions:
1. Set up a dredging station. First bowl should have the egg whisked together with the buttermilk. 2nd bowl should have the seasonings and breadcrumbs and almonds. 

2. Start cooking some rice. I used my scented rosemary rice recipe (click here for it). Once rice is half way done. Start cooking the chicken. 

3. Heat a skillet with a Tb of olive oil or canola oil

4. Slightly pound the half breasts a bit thinner so they cook evenly. 




5. Dip the breast halves on a a time into the egg mixture, then the dry mixture and then place them in the skillet. Cook them for approx 4 minutes each side. 


There. One. Easy. Meal. In less than 30 minutes... My chicken is a bit dark as you can see from the picture but it was crispy, nutty, crunchy, well-seasoned, and amazing. Perfect isn't necessary with me in my house but it has to taste good.





Enjoy! Blessings to you and your family this week! 
From my kitchen to yours


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel to comment about the pictures or recipe above. Looking forward to reading your comments. Happy reading, cooking, eating, and sharing good food!