Saturday, March 23

Root Veggie Corned Beef Hash

The morning following St. Patrick's Day was a great morning! The evening before I had cooked a delicious almost traditional Irish meal with Corned Beef and Irish beer apple bread. Here's where you ask, "So why was the following day good"? Oh thanks for asking. Yes, mornings are usually good. They are actually my favorite time of the day. It is the most quiet, calm, serene, hopeful, and the only thing really doing anything is my coffee pot. This particular morning however I had leftover corned beef to use to make a wonderful root veggie hash topped with delightfully rich eggs over easy. I was so excited I actually started cooking before my coffee was brewed, which doesn't happen often - let me reassure you. 


I thought the hash was excellent when I tasted it while it was cooking.... you know making sure it was safe for everyone else. But when I cut into that nice egg on top and the golden yolk began to flow out... ahhh heaven on a plate :) The richness from the egg elevates the dish to another dimension. Please note I was hesitant about adding Italian seasoning to my already lovely seasoned corned beef hash, but it works. Trust me. Try it. This was so good I am going to be counting down the days to St. Patrick's day next year and buying several extra large pieces of corned beef to make this wonderful brunch. 


Root Veggie Corned Beef Hash
serves 4


Ingredients:
1/2 - 3/4 lb of cooked cubed corned beef hash
1 turnip, cubed
2 red potatoes, cubed into bite size pieces (same size as the squash)
1/2 onion, finely diced
half of a butternut squash (approx 1 1/2 cups), cubed
Italian Seasoning
Oil
4 eggs (1 per person)
salt 
pepper

3 Steps to brunch

1. Boil the potatoes for 5 minutes in medium sized pot with salted water (1 tsp salt)

2. Saute everything else - pretty much. While the potatoes are cooking saute the butternut squash in a large skillet over medium low heat for 10 minutes in 1 Tbs olive oil. To the skillet add the onion and turnip, and cook for an additional five minutes. Last add in the potatoes,1 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, 1 Tbs Italian seasoning, and a bit more oil if needed. Turn up the heat on the skillet and cook until all veggies are tender to the fork and are showing some caramelization, some good color. Once you see color on the veggies add the cubed already cooked corned beef.

3. Cook your eggs in a separate saucepan with a few drops of oil and salt and pepper- approx 2-5 minutes over medium low. Flip gently so you can serve it with the egg in tact. The goal with the egg is so each person gets to open their own egg up, like a birthday present, and have that delightful golden sauce mix into their food. 


Enjoy St. Patrick's Day and all the wonderful food that celebrates Ireland and Irish traditions. 
Who says you have to only eat corned beef on March 17th anyways. 
From my kitchen to yours! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel to comment about the pictures or recipe above. Looking forward to reading your comments. Happy reading, cooking, eating, and sharing good food!