Friday, April 12

Corned Beef Salsa Verde Skillet Burritos

So, even though I am constantly trying new recipes, on average 3-4 a week for the last 2+ years, I still find things I haven't ever made, like corned beef. This year on St. Patrick's Day was the first time I had cooked anything with corned beef. I had no idea what I was missing! I was SO amazed how tender and awesome the meat became that I went out and bought more. Hahaha good thing there is a plethora of recipes online that helped me use it up. Then it happened. I had just enough leftover meat to not want to throw it away, but not enough to really make it into a meal or so I thought. I was thinking up ways to stretch my just barely 1 & 1/2 cups of delish corned beef when my son asked me if we could have tacos... Thank you sweet son of mine! So here's my take on Corned Beef Burritos... Try it next March when you find yourself with leftover corned beef. Proof that almost any food if done with some imagination can be "mexican" style. It was amazing. The salsa verde is light enough it doesn't overwhelm like a tomato salsa would've....Corned Beef in Mexican food... sure why not.

My son's plate... no toppings for him instead i put them on the side.
All he wanted was salsa to dip things into anyways.




Serves 3 or 4 people
1- 2  Burritos each






Ingredients: 
1 cup of water
1/2 cup of salsa verde medium (I used La Victoria - just because I knew it wasn't too spicy for my kiddo) 
1 green pepper, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
1 Tbs taco seasoning homemade or store bought
1 & 1/2 cups of cooked and shredded corned beef
1 package soft taco size tortillas
1 cup or more your favorite shredded cheese ( I used sharp cheddar)
optional taco toppings: extra salsa, cilantro, chopped green onion, sliced avocado, sour cream, shredded lettuce...ect

Directions
1. In a large skillet bring the water, salsa up to a boil. Add in the meat chunks. Reduce heat to low and simmer. 

2. Add in the taco seasoning, green pepper, and chopped onion. The fat from the meat will help "saute" the veggies and the water will help the seasonings to really surround the meat. Continue cooking on low for 5 minutes or so until the veggies are soft and half of the water has been reduced.  Add in the corn starch and stir for about 2 minutes and turn off the stove. The sauce will thicken. 

3.  In another skillet heat up some tortillas just until they are more flexible. Put about a 1/4- 1/2 cup of the meat/veg mixture in each tortilla. Then top the mixture with cheese, and if you want more salsa and avocado. Tuck the sides in and roll the tortilla to look like a burrito  Put them seam side back down on to the same skillet that warmed the tortilla for a 3-5 minutes to make sure the cheese melts over low heat. If you want a crunchier texture cook for 5-10 minutes flipping it when it looking more golden brown.



4. Top the finished tortillas with shredded lettuce, tomato, sour cream, cilantro, green onion = anything you want. Treat it like a taco. For me this meant more avocado! Yum!!


My leftover Masterpiece
Hopefully my avocado won't be as ripe as yours! LOL

Easy fun and dinner done in less than 15 minutes! 
Serve with fun mexican style rice or chips :) 
Cheers to a fun meal from leftovers..... Ireland meets Mexico! 
From my kitchen to yours


Similar recipes: 


2 comments:

  1. Might have to try this one. It will give me an excuse to cook up some more corned beef. Looks and sounds excellent.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel to comment about the pictures or recipe above. Looking forward to reading your comments. Happy reading, cooking, eating, and sharing good food!