Saturday, May 18

Garlic Dijon Chicken with White Wine & Wild Rice

My blogging has gotten SUPER sporadic lately. Thanks to those who keep following anyways. I haven't stopped making new fun meals just got surrounded by boxes. We just moved 1 week plus two days ago "officially". Which means I am way past my goal of unpacking quickly so I can proceed with my happy go lucky, ordered, list filled life. Life is what happens however in between those moments of lists and laughter. 

Good news though, today, the last box in the kitchen is put away. I love the spaciousness of our new house. After years and years of renting we have our own place. For a few days it seemed like the boxes were multiplying on their own! I am happily no longer tripping over boxes at least in a couple rooms, which means I can sit drink coffee and start blogging again. Yay! 


To celebrate the exhaustion of moving and unpacking I am wisely using one of my make ahead freezer chicken meals. It's super easy. I highly recommend it even if you aren't moving. So defrost it, heat up the indoor or outdoor grill. Throw it on. Make some rice. Check. Check. Easy Peasy. Even a caveman can do it. I mean our husbands. Hahah Yes I know some husbands can cook really well. Some husbands even like cooking. Mine not so much. Mine not even a little bit. There I said it. I am okay with it as long as he handles the kiddo during dinner time so I can catch a little break and not be tripping over someone asking for a snack or a drink or stealing veggies I am trying to cook with off my cutting board. 




I have been making this dish for over a year. Thanks again to pintrest for saving me from boring chicken. I wish I had known about this blog, When the dinner bell rings, back in college. It would've saved me from so many bad frozen pizzas! I hope you try it. Going to try it next time in sandwich form.... can't wait. Dijon chicken, bacon, super yummy cheese... yes this could work. Stay tuned. When chicken goes on sale I usually do three of these at a time = time & money saver. 


Ingredients: 
In a gallon sized freezer bag combine these ingredients and freeze until needed: 
Serves 3 or 4
Keeps good for up to 4 months frozen. 
  1. Boneless Chicken Breast  1 &1/2 lbs cut into 4 pieces (butterflied & pounded a little thinner for even cooking)
  2. 2 tsp heaping minced garlic 
  3. 1/4 cup Dijon mustard made with white wine (not the country course grain kind)
  4. 2 Tbs lime Juice 
Please excuse the poor picture. You see frozen peas.... My son is eating so fast these days. Its a trick I have discovered to help my son not burn his mouth on the rice. The peas cool down the rice.

Directions: 
To make a whole meal chicken & rice defrost the chicken overnight in the fridge. As the chicken defrosts it will marinate and get super flavorful. Since its warm here in southern Az I cooked it on an indoor grill but you certainly can use your oven or crockpot or bbq.  I just didn't want to heat up the kitchen too much.Cook the flattened chicken breasts for approx 5-7 minutes on each side. Let it sit for a few minutes to let the juices redistribute or to make sure your 3 yr old doesn't burn his mouth. Just keep an eye on it since chicken breast is easily overcooked and becomes more sawdust/cardboard than juicy chicken.

 To cook the wild rice: I used 3/4 cup of wild rice with 3/4 cup of chicken low sodium broth, and a 1/2 cup of water in a saucepan. Bring it to a boil. Cover it with a tight fitting lid and lower the temp to medium low for 45 minutes. 


Serve with your favorite fresh, frozen or cooked veggie side.

Enjoy!
From my kitchen to yours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel to comment about the pictures or recipe above. Looking forward to reading your comments. Happy reading, cooking, eating, and sharing good food!