Tuesday, September 17

Flour Free, Sugar Free Easy Enchilada Sauce

I heart enchiladas. But there are so many moments when its easier to reach for something that's already prepped, frozen, or from a can. I had always thought enchilada sauce was way too complicated to make at home especially when its only one component of a larger time consuming dish. Just for the record I was way wrong in my thinking.

This sauce tastes so much better than the canned variety. I wanted to call everyone I know when I made this and tell them how yummy it was. My family wasn't even aware that I doubled the amount of fresh veggies in it, which always makes me feel so good as a mom. Other good notable mentions for this recipe are it has a super simple ingredient list, and super simple directions. The original recipe comes from Guy Fieri's enchilada sauce that he uses when he makes old school tacos. You mix 1/2 cup of this sauce in with the taco meat and you will find an amazing combo. I just thought it was better was more veggies, what can I say.... the mom in me is coming out again. After tasting his sauce my way with the extra veggies for the first time, I made a double batch for my freezer vowing to never buy a can of enchilada sauce again. So come veggie up with me and try out my sauce....

p.s. I was so excited to eat dinner after tasting the sauce I have no pictures. Yours should end up easily red in color, beautifully smooth similar to many sauces you have seen before.  


Ingredients:
1/2 zucchini, peeled and finely chopped
2 - 14.5 oz cans of fire roasted tomatoes
1/2 of a green pepper, seeded and chopped
1/2 of an onion, chopped
Olive oil approx 1/2 Tbs
3 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed once
1 Tbs ground cumin
1 Tbs of chipotle in adobe sauce (for me, this was 1 pepper)

Directions:
1. Saute the onion, green pepper, and zucchini in olive oil for 5-6 minutes or until they are soft
2. Add and stir in everything else.
3. Over medium low heat, let the sauce thicken and simmer 20-30 minutes.
4. Blend or puree the sauce until smooth.
5. Use right away or cover and put in the refrigerator. If freezing, cool completely, and store in freezer bags. I did freezer bags with 1 or 2 cup measurements because I never make more than 6 enchiladas a time.


enjoy your veggies or enjoy hiding them ;)
Eat well.
From my kitchen to yours

3 comments:

Please feel to comment about the pictures or recipe above. Looking forward to reading your comments. Happy reading, cooking, eating, and sharing good food!