It starts with crisp bacon, handfuls of super melted, creamy and mild mozzarella cheese, and salty parmesan cheese. There are great summer veggies throughout to give it a nice sweet fragrant smell, and some nutrients to make this easy lasagna dish a tiny bit lighter. With three kinds of meat, and three kinds of cheese, all cooked in one pot, this is one decadent comfort meal you don't want to miss. I can't wait to make it again!
This meal wasn't just good for a "one pot meal". It was the best lasagna meal I have had since I was a kid and my mom was making it. My mom has the record for a lot of dishes - she is an amazing cook that lives entirely too far away. hint hint hint. But back to this lasagna..... And yes it is truly a one pot meal, you don't have to brown the meat in a pan and then dump it into something else. I have ran across those meals before where it says its a one pot meal but you end up using another pan or blender or something else. Trust me with a sick baby near by crying for attention, food, and loves at all hours of the day and night I wouldn't mess around with anything complicated right now..... even if someone was just tempting me with a homemade pickle recipe.
I may never layer lasagna ever again
One Pot Lasagna
Serves 4-6 people
adapted from: Pinch of YumIngredients:
4 slices of thick bacon, cut into pieces
2 shallots, minced
3 carrots minced
1 medium zucchini, small diced
1/2 lb. sweet Italian sausage
1/2 lb. lean ground beef
1/2 cup of water
salt and pepper
4 oz of cream cheese
half of a package of lasagna noodles (I used 6)
6 oz of shredded mozzarella
1 jar of good quality tomato basil pasta sauce (I happily found one without added sugar)
parmesan cheese for topping
1. Preheat the oven 350 degrees
2. In a oven proof skillet, I used my trusty dutch oven, cook the bacon until its crispy.
3. Then add in the carrots, shallot, and zucchini. Saute them for 5 minutes until soft.
4. Add in the meat in the same pot and fully cook everything together. Sprinkle salt and pepper.
5. Once the meat is cooked drain off half of the grease. I had 1-2 Tbs I drained off. This is important since it will make the sauce greasy.
6. Add in the tomato sauce and water. Use a spatula to scrape some of the yummy meat bits that may have gotten stuck to the bottom of the pan. Simmer for 10 minutes so its barely bubbling and getting thick.
7. Break the lasagna noodles into 3 or 4 pieces and stir them into the meat sauce so they are completely covered. Lay them flat if possible.
8. Use a spoon to lift up and tuck some of the noodles and sauce to drop small handfuls of mozzarella cheese underneath. To create a layering effect. Cover the top of everything with the remaining cheese.
10. Let it stand for 5-10 minutes and then sprinkle on the parmesan cheese
11. Eat and enjoy!