Veggie - Chicken Biscuit Stew
serves approx 4 adults. the orignal recipe can be found here.
Ingredients for the stew:
1/2 cup frozen peas (keep frozen until needed)
2 cups frozen brocoli pieces (keep frozen until needed)
6 oz cooked/frozen chopped spinach (defrost in the mirowave and drain throughally in a towel)
1 cup or half of a large onion, finely chopped
2 tsp minced garlic
2 boneless/skinless chicken breasts cut into bite size cubes
1 Tbs all purpose flour
4 heaping Tbs white wine* ( used pinot grigio)
1/4 cup of water
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp curry powder
1 TBS olive oil
3/4 cup plain (organic if you have it) yogurt
* You can taste the wine in this dish so please use one that you like to drink. It doesn't have to be expensive just tasty. The one I picked for this was $3.99 from the grocery store. The wine you pick elevates the dish by creating depths of flavors not usually seen in a standard casserole dish.
Ingredients for the biscuits:
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp dried chives
2 tsp dried parsley flakes
1/4 tsp salt
4 tsp cold butter, cubed
1/2 cup of plain yogurt
1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet
2. Cook the chicken in the skillet for approx 4 or 5 minutes each side stirring/flipping as needed until they are golden brown
3. Add garlic and onion to the skillet and continue cooking on low 2-3 more minutes
4. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
5. Add the frozen veggies to the skillet and let them start heating up on low for several minutes (spinach, broccoli, and peas)
6. Prepare the thickening agent in a separate bowl or cup (water, flour & wine) and stir with a fork or whisk until smooth. Add that to the skillet. Increase heat to medium to bring the liquid to a boil and then return the temperature to low. Keep on low until ready to be put into baking dish.
7. Add everything else to the skillet (except the spinach) and stir to coat the chicken in the spices.
8. Next make the biscuits. In a medium bowl combine all the ingredients listed for the biscuits except the yogurt.
9. Use your fingers or a pastry tool or a food processor to combine the cold butter into the seasoned flour. Once it is throughoully combined add in the yogurt. Use a spoon or flexible spatula to combine it into a very sticky doughy mound.
10. Dump or scoop the contents of the skillet into the baking dish. Topping the chicken mixture is the spinach - use your fingers to pull some of the leaves apart. Top the spinach with several scoops of the sticky herb flavored biscuit dough. I made 9 individual circles so the green of the veggies could be seen through and pop with color.
11. Cook for approx 30 minutes uncovered. Biscuits should be golden brown and the sides of the dish should be bubbly.
enjoy & be well
From my Az kitchen to yours!