Thursday, January 31

1 Chicken Dish Three Ways (freezer friendly)

So today is Jan 31st.  Happily February (my birthday month) starts tomorrow, and the cooking magazine my hubby surprised me with has tons of cake recipes wahoo! Yes I make my own cake but it totally pays off. I totally don't mind especially if we go out someplace fun for dinner. Store bought cake is welll okay not really personal or fun... and my kiddo can't lick the frosting off the mixer's beaters if the store makes it. My hubby always asks for a choc cake because that's his "thing" but I like to mix it up. One of my fav birthday cakes of all time, was made maybe 10 years ago, a banana nut cake that my brother made while we were camping in a rv trailer with a dinky little stove and oven. hahaha! But really the focus of blogging today isn't cake, I am just really deep on a rabbit trail this morning. 



I really want to tell you about this three meals I made last week. It all started with a single freezer meal. Some chicken and ingredients for a marinade that I bought, prepped, and threw in the freezer for later. Easy!  


Meal #1: Grilled Chili Maple Chicken and veg
(serves 4 )
this recipe is directly taken from http://whenthedinnerbellrings.blogspot.com/2011/06/super-easy-way-to-getting-meals-ready.html
I didn't change or adapt the recipe. I doubled it. 

What you need for this recipe: 
3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts or tenders
4 Tb water
2 tsp salt
3 Tbs maple syrup (the good kind not the imitation)
2 Tbs chili powder 

Directions:  
1. Trim the chicken and cut into long strips approx 4 or 5 per breast, you can skip this step by buying tenders but usually that's a bit more expensive. (need approx 
2. Label your freezer bag with the title of the dish, date, and cooking instructions
3. Mix all the other ingredients together in a bowl. 
4. Put the cut chicken into a gallon freezer bag and pour the marinade over the top. 
5. Lay the bag flat in the freezer 

When you want to use it: 
1. Defrost it in the fridge the night before
2. Grill it up the next day approx 4 minutes on each side until done.
3.  Serve 3 strips per person with your favorite veg, rolls or rice to round out the dinner.





Meal #2: Chili Maple Chicken Quesadillas
Leftover meat is awesome for stews, casseroles and one of my favorite things CHEESY quesadillas!!! 
To round out this meal serve it with rice. You will have dinner done in less than 30 minutes!
Makes 4 




What you need for this recipe:

  • 1 1/2 strips of leftover chicken per quesadilla = 6 total depending on appetites (1 strip for kids)
  • 8 tortillas - 2 per quesadilla
  • 2 cups of cheese whatever you have around, i used shredded mozzarella
  • 1/4 red pepper, finely diced, divided into all 4 
  • 1 Roma tomato, finely diced, divided into 4
  • 1 jalapeno (optional if you like things spicy) 
  • 4 Tbs cilantro, divided 
  • 1/2 cup salsa, divided (1/8 cup each)
  • optional toppings: Greek yogurt or sour cream, chopped lettuce, salsa, sprouts, ect

Directions:
1. Lay out 4 tortillas. Put 1/4 cup of cheese on each one. 
2. Dice up the chicken strips and put equal amounts on each one. 
3. Put equal amounts of red pepper, tomato, cilantro and jalapeno one each one. 
4. Top with the remaining cheese, salsa, and the last tortilla 
5. Cook them in a quesdilla maker or on the stove. A long grill flat grill pan over two burners would do it all at once. I used a quesdailla maker to help me out. 
6. Cut the cheesy mouth watering rounds into 4 or 8 pieces on large plates with toppings piled in the middle


Meal #3: Maple Chili Chicken Supreme Pizza

The sweet nature of this chicken pairs so beautifully with red onions and chopped pineapple. I wanted to eat the whole pizza!  Since my family isn't quite into chicken pizza. They are missing out! So as you can see in this picture, I did half supreme and half pepperoni. So I am going to just double the amounts I used so you know how much you'll need for a whole pizza. 

                               What you need for this meal: 

1. Leftover Chili maple Chicken strips - 4 or 5, finely diced
2. 1 small can of pineapple  1 - 1 & 1/2 cups of finely diced 
3. 1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
4. 1 1/4 cup of mozzarella cheese 
5. 1/2 cup pizza sauce
(click here for an easy recipe). 
6. Pizza dough 
(click here for an easy 10 minute rise dough)
7. handful of finely chopped cilantro 





Directions
1. Make the dough if not using store bought
2. Defrost the pizza sauce in hot water if you have some made or open it from a can 

3. Par bake the pizza rolled out on a pizza stone or pan for 3 minutes at 500 degrees

4. Turn the oven down to 450 while you top the pizza crust
5. Top the pizza with pizza sauce, 1/4 cup cheese, then chicken, onion, pineapple, cilantro, and the rest of the cheese
6. Bake the pizza at 450 for 8-10 minutes or until its golden brown








There you have 3 meals all from 1 Freezer Meal of chicken.... Easy Peasy. All three meals took less than 30 minutes to make with only a handful of ingredients. 
I really hope you enjoy these short cuts... I know I will do this again in the future with spring sports starting. 

Enjoy!
From my busy kitchen to yours! 














No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel to comment about the pictures or recipe above. Looking forward to reading your comments. Happy reading, cooking, eating, and sharing good food!