Here is my fish taco recipe using cilantro walnut pesto. Usually I make fish tacos on the bbq or on a grill pan on the stove. This is an way with the oven was faster and easier and less clean up. This is part of our weekly dinners now. This was the best fish taco I have ever eaten. Serious. We lived in Ca for 8 years right off the ocean. This beats all. Hands down. No contest. Try it. You won't be disappointed!!
Serves 4 people
- 3 large pieces of Cod fillets (approx a pound or a bit more)
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 cup cilantro
- olive oil to drizzle
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Taco shells - whatever you prefer - we like soft shells - easier for the kid
- taco fixin's: lettuce, tomato, green onion, salsa, avocado, green onion, shredded cheese
- 1 cup of good white wine or chicken broth or water if you are in a pinch but the other two are really preferable
Serve with: chips, more salsa, and or some kind of white or brown or wild rice or in the summer I like to serve tacos with corn on the cob since you are eating with your fingers already
|As you can my 3 yr old was attacking some of the prepped condiments just as fast as I was making them. Surprised there was any tomatoes left by the time the fish was done!|
1. In a food processor whirl together or pulse a few times the walnuts, salt, pepper, cheese, and cilantro. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil until it starts to look smooth probably 1/4 -1/2 cup. Then taste it. Add more salt or pepper as needed.
2. Chop up your taco fixin's and preheat the oven
3. Place the fish pieces in an oven safe skillet. Top each piece of fish with a generous helping of pesto. Smooth it out as it will become the crunchy crust.
4. Slowly pour in your liquid of choice (wine, broth or water) around the fish in your skillet. You want to keep the topping in place.
5. Bake the fish at 350 for approx 7-10 minutes. Just keep an eye on it. Fish doesn't take too long. Don't have to worry about it drying out with the yummy flavored liquid giving it a bath (wink).
6. Turn the broiler on, and broil for an additional minutes 2-3 minutes until golden brown and crispy.
7. Cool slightly before serving. Should chunk into big pieces easily. Serve family style with taco fixin's