Wednesday, January 9

Walnut Apple Coffee Cake

My mother in law has been in town for the last couple days. Okay I admit out of town visitors sometimes stress me out because I want things to be perfect, but I absolutely love having them. I love cooking for people! So hosting and having fun were my primary goals, as well as showing off my favorite recipes (ie...making yummy food). It shall take me several days to catch up with my favorite hobby, this blog. I made this for breakfast while she was here. Everyone gave it high reviews. My husband loved it (well okay he loved it except for the nuts, but he doesn't like nuts in anything). So here it is, the answer to your next coffee date with a girl friend, or brunch with out of town family.... I served mine with gingerbread coffee and scrambled eggs. 

My Walnut Apple Coffee Cake (recipe was adapted from: Fix It and Enjoy It cookbook)


Ingredients for the cake:
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 1/2 cups all purpose white flour
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon, heaping
2 tsp baking powder
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup of oil, canola
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 apple, peeled, finely diced
1/2 cup homemade or store bought no sugar added applesauce
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 tsp honey

Ingredients for topping:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup rolled oats
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped

Directions:
1. Mix together all dry ingredients for cake in one large bowl
2. Mix together all wet ingredients for cake in another large bowl except for nuts and apples 
3. Very slowly combine the dry ingredients into the wet with a hand mixer or a stand mixer until it is combined
4. Fold in the diced nuts and apples
5. Preheat the oven to 350
6. Grease a rectangle baking dish with butter
7. Pour with a spatula (dough will be extremely thick and will almost need to be scooped out) into the baking dish
8. As oven preheats, Mix together the topping in a small bowl
9. Sprinkle the topping over the cake batter 
10. Bake for 40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean
11. Let it rest for approx 5 minutes. Mine was extremely raised when it came out of the oven and seemed to fall or drop as it cooled to a nice flat level coffee cake

It was easy & yummy!!!  Don't wait for a holiday or visitors to try this one! Did I mention it will make your house smell amazing? :) Enjoy!
From my kitchen to yours

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel to comment about the pictures or recipe above. Looking forward to reading your comments. Happy reading, cooking, eating, and sharing good food!