one lb of shredded chicken - serious meat chunks
9 large cheesy garlic-y biscuits - enough to make your mouth water
The recipe (or so how I adapted it):
cooking time: approx 1 & 1/2 hrs
prep time: 15 minutes but can be done during the cooking time
1 lb of raw chicken boneless/skinless poached and then shredded (or already cooked rotisserie or use leftover chicken from another meal)
1 tsp salt, divided
1/2 tsp pepper, divided
2 tsp lemon juice, divided
1 Tbs garlic minced
2 cups of baking mix*
3/4 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
1 carrot, peeled and diced
3 parsnips, peeled and diced
1/2 of an onion, peeled and finely diced
2 ribs of celery, chopped
1 cup of chicken broth (used reserved poaching liquid)
1 cup of milk
2 Tbs all purpose flour
4 Tbs butter, unsalted, divided
*Baking Mix: This mix makes a double batch for biscuits for this meal but then for later on in the week. Store the extra in an airtight container in your fridge. Combine 2 1/2 cup all purpose flour, 1/8 cup baking powder, 1 Tbs sugar, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 cup of really cold butter in a food processor until all blended or use a fork or your fingers to get that crumbly texture well known for biscuits. Next time I am going to triple this batch. Seriously GOOD biscuits.
1. Peel and chop all veggies, save the ends to make broth if using raw chicken. If your chicken is already cooked skip steps 2 &4. Shred the chicken, remove any skin and bones.
2. Poach your raw chicken breast - 3 chicken breasts for me was 1 lb. Fill a larger pot of water and add the chicken. Add 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, 1 Tbs lemon juice, 1 chopped carrot, and 1 chopped celery. Add in the ends of the veggies you chopped for the food. Bring to a boil and simmer for 1 hour.
3. While chicken is cooking. Butter a baking dish. I used a 8x8 square.
4. After chicken is done, strain the chicken broth and reserve 1 cup. Put the remaining broth in a covered container for later in the week. Throw out the cooked veggies, and shred the chicken into the prepped baking dish.
5. Saute the veggies in a medium or large skillet with 1 Tbs butter - approx 6 minutes think tender crisp.
6. While either the chicken is cooking or the veggies are sauteing whip up the biscuits and set them aside. In a bowl combine: 2 cups of baking mix* with 2/3 cup of milk, and all of the cheddar cheese. Form into 9 somewhat equal biscuits. Dough will be very sticky. Set aside.
7. After veggies are tender crisp sprinkle in the flour and stir, over medium heat for about 1-2 minutes to let the flour cook out.
8. Stir in the chicken broth. Continue stirring for another 1-2 minutes until it starts to thicken like gravy.
9. Add the 1/3 cup of milk. Simmer for another minute. Add in salt (1/2 tsp) and pepper (1/4 tsp) and lemon juice (1 tsp) to mimic the same flavors as the chicken and chicken broth. Taste it. If its good then pour it over the chicken in the baking dish. If its not quite right add more salt and pepper or anything else you think it needs.
10. While milk/broth is simmering for a minute grab a small saucepan and melt 2 Tbs of butter with the garlic on the stove to brush onto the biscuits before and after baking.
11. Drop the biscuits into place on top of the chicken mixture and brush on half of the garlic butter.
12. Bake the casserole for 20-25 minutes until the biscuits are golden brown and yummy. As soon as you pull it out of the oven brush on or just dump the remaining warm garlic butter over the top.
Serve warm with or without a veg (since technically there are veggies inside). Enjoy dinner.
From my (biscuit loving) kitchen to yours!