Thursday, May 30

Almond Banana Bread


Confession: when I think of Banana Bread my taste buds immediately think of walnuts. Do you have a favorite nut that ONLY goes with a specific dish? If so you know what I am talking about here. I LOVE walnuts in banana bread. To me they are a perfect match. My husband just puts up with them. The nuts are tough and nutty and the bananas are sweet and mushy. Its love at first sight. I love almonds too, just in a different way. Trust me. When I think of a raspberry tart I am totally grabbing almond flour and raw almonds to toast up on top. I love almonds as a snack with raisins, or on top of frozen yogurt, or on top of protein shake if I ahem make it too thick by accident or on purpose.  So I went out on limb and picked some almond extract to see if there could be a match with bananas and almonds. 

This almost dessert fun breakfast loaf was tasty the verdict was that my husband and son LOVED it but I noticed the difference and next time will be sticking with my old standby walnuts :) But do try this if you enjoy almonds. 


 Makes 1 loaf good for 4-6 people 



Mix all these ingredients in bowl. I made the batter/dough 1 day ahead of when I was going to need it and covered it and put it in the fridge. The bananas made it turn a little darker but because I let it sit on the counter and come to room temperature before baking it, it turned out great. So this definitely can be a make-ahead sort of breakfast or brunch food. 

3/4 cup course corn meal (next time I will use a finer ground - although it was a nice change of pace)
1/2 cup whole wheat white flour
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 eggs
2 tsp almond extract (was a bit overpowering only 1 tsp next time)
1/2 cup brown sugar 
1/2 cup heaping apple sauce
1/2 cup of finely chopped almonds
1/2 tsp salt
4 really ripe bananas
1/4 cup scant honey (don't fill to the top of the measuring cup)
2 Tbs unsalted butter, softened, organic if you have it


Preheat your oven to 375. Butter your loaf pan. 

Pour the mixed batter in. 

Bake it for 50 minutes and check it with a tooth pick. 

If the tooth pick comes out clean leave it on the counter to cool in its pan for 10 minutes. 
If the tooth pick does NOT come out clean, lower the temp to 350,  cover the loaf with tin foil, return the bread to the oven for another 5 minutes.  Check it again with a tooth pick until it comes out clean. Mine baked for 55 minutes. 

Do leave it in the loaf pan for 10 minutes before trying to slide it out. It will come out in one piece every time. For even slicing let it cool a few minutes beyond that (like 5) on a plate, cooling rack, or just the counter. 

Serve with cold yummy milk or coffee. 



Happy Thursday! 
The weekend is coming. Enjoy some banana bread and coffee and Friday will be here before we know it. That is at least what I am telling myself. 
From my kitchen to yours! 



related links:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel to comment about the pictures or recipe above. Looking forward to reading your comments. Happy reading, cooking, eating, and sharing good food!