So to combat my long driving, activity laden day I like to start off with a solid veggie/protein filled breakfast like this.... Broccoli Chipotle Cheddar Omelet. By the way this is the first time I have actually made a omelet that didn't turn into scrambled eggs because it fell apart. Yay! I am super happy and proud of myself for FINALLY conquering this. This has been a 5 year battle.... I probably should explain this. My hubby loves breakfast foods. 95% of the time where we go out to eat is solely based on who has good omelets - seriously. I know all the restaurants in the area that serve breakfast after 11am too so we can have breakfast for lunch or dinner. Breakfast food is almost as serious as football in our house.
Now that I have probably bored you to death with too many details of my life.... here's how I made this delish slightly spicy, cheesy, omelet filled with tender crisp veg. By all means I am not an expert on omelets this is the first one I have done really well.... pancakes/waffles are a different story (wink). So if you have a better way to do omelets please do that, and use this as a flavor idea... Make broccoli fun with yummy cheese. Enjoy! P.S. One of my facebook friends said I should add bacon. Hahah yes of course bacon makes everything better. Will do that next time.
Broccoli Chipotle Cheddar Omelet
Makes 1 Omelet
3 eggs whisked together with 1/4 cup of milk ( I used 1% organic)
nonstick - cooking spray
(I don't like using but really didn't want it to stick - it worked)
6 slices/2oz of shredded of chipotle white cheddar cheese
(Don't need much.. has huge flavor. Used store brand Vermont)
1 cup of fresh broccoli
s & p to taste (start with 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper)
1/4 tsp of herbes de provence (my favorite herb mixture)
1. Spray a small/medium size non stick skillet
2. Pour in the mixed milk egg mixture into the small skillet. Salt and pepper it.
3. Stand by the stove the entire time and watch it cook, stirring just slightly in the middle for a couple minutes over medium heat. Pick up the skillet and turn the pan around to make sure that its coating evenly. You want the center to start clumping like scrambled eggs.... move the eggs around so the liquid egg mixture on top cooks too. This took approx 3-4 minutes. Only move around the center... don't disturb the outside... let it form that solid shell.
4. When it looks like almost all of the liquid is cooked or looks like wet scrambled eggs. Add the broccoli and cheese to one side. Let it continue cooking turn it down to low if its going too fast. You want the cheese to be almost melted. I let this cook like this for approx 3 minutes
4. Fold the empty side of the eggs over the top of the other with a wide spatula and a fork to help. Once I folded it. I held it down with my fork for just a minute and happy it stayed put. The veggies were slightly falling out but that's okay... just means I am eating good healthy stuff.
5. Put a couple more slices of cheese over the top and cook it on low until that cheese melts -
this took another approx 5 minutes.
|perfect along side a large glass of water or coffee|
From my kitchen to yours!