Saturday, July 6

Broccoli Chipotle Cheddar Omelet


Happy Saturday after the 4th of July. What a crazy week it has been! Hopefully if you were one of the unfortunate ones that had to work all week, today is your time to blow some stuff up, as my husband would say. We had a good 4th of July. Food. Fireworks. Family. Talked to extended family on the phone. Made a fruity sangria for the first time - had a good time with that. Watched a favorite movie... 1776. What did you do for the 4th of July?


 Now that the holiday is over for us... it is back to the busy weekend of life. Don't get me wrong, I heart  weekends. But, Saturdays and Sundays though are my busiest days by far. The swamped schedule, I must admit, is self induced. BUT my justification, what I tell myself at the end of the day, is that this furious Saturday schedule helps me to stay on track health wise and save time/money/gas. Let me explain.... my favorite gym is near the community center where my son's activity class (this quarter it's a fundamental soccer class with drills every week), which only 2 miles away from my favorite grocery store. Three necessary activities all within a 5 mile radius! All of this is at best 35-40 minutes each way from my house. So if I separated these events across my week that would be A LOT of time driving. Yes I live out in the middle of nowhere. I know.

So to combat my long driving, activity laden day I like to start off with a solid veggie/protein filled breakfast like this.... Broccoli Chipotle Cheddar Omelet. By the way this is the first time I have actually made a omelet that didn't turn into scrambled eggs because it fell apart. Yay! I am super happy and proud of myself for FINALLY conquering this. This has been a 5 year battle.... I probably should explain this. My hubby loves breakfast foods. 95% of the time where we go out to eat is solely based on who has good omelets - seriously. I know all the restaurants in the area that serve breakfast after 11am too so we can have breakfast for lunch or dinner. Breakfast food is almost as serious as football in our house.

Now that I have probably bored you to death with too many details of my life.... here's how I made this delish slightly spicy, cheesy, omelet filled with tender crisp veg.  By all means I am not an expert on omelets this is the first one I have done really well.... pancakes/waffles are a different story (wink). So if you have a better way to do omelets please do that, and use this as a flavor idea... Make broccoli fun with yummy cheese. Enjoy! P.S. One of my facebook friends said I should add bacon. Hahah yes of course bacon makes everything better. Will do that next time.

Broccoli Chipotle Cheddar Omelet 


Makes 1 Omelet

ingredients

3 eggs whisked together with 1/4 cup of milk ( I used 1% organic)
nonstick - cooking spray 
(I don't like using but really didn't want it to stick - it worked)
6 slices/2oz of shredded of chipotle white cheddar cheese 
(Don't need much.. has huge flavor. Used store brand Vermont) 
1 cup of fresh broccoli 
s & p to taste (start with 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper)
1/4 tsp of herbes de provence (my favorite herb mixture)


directions

1. Spray a small/medium size non stick skillet 

2. Pour in the mixed milk egg mixture into the small skillet. Salt and pepper it. 

3. Stand by the stove the entire time and watch it cook, stirring just slightly in the middle for a couple minutes over medium heat. Pick up the skillet and turn the pan around to make sure that its coating evenly. You want the center to start clumping like scrambled eggs.... move the eggs around so the liquid egg mixture on top cooks too. This took approx 3-4 minutes. Only move around the center... don't disturb the outside... let it form that solid shell. 

4. When it looks like almost all of the liquid is cooked or looks like wet scrambled eggs. Add the broccoli and cheese to one side. Let it continue cooking turn it down to low if its going too fast. You want the cheese to be almost melted. I let this cook like this for approx 3 minutes

4. Fold the empty side of the eggs over the top of the other with a wide spatula and a fork to help. Once I folded it. I held it down with my fork for just a minute and happy it stayed put. The veggies were slightly falling out but that's okay... just means I am eating good healthy stuff. 

5. Put a couple more slices of cheese over the top and cook it on low until that cheese melts - 
this took another approx 5 minutes. 



Serve it up... eat it warm... don't be like me and burn your tongue on hot yummy melted cheese (wink). Serve it with toast and/or some extra broccoli or fruit. I did the extra broccoli since I am hitting the gym. Need the fiber to keep me full for awhile. 

perfect along side a large glass of water or coffee

Enjoy breakfast any time of the day. It is the weekend, right? 

From my kitchen to yours! 








No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel to comment about the pictures or recipe above. Looking forward to reading your comments. Happy reading, cooking, eating, and sharing good food!