Wednesday, October 9

Whole Wheat Three Cheese Kale & Sausage French Bread Pizza


We have been doing pizza pretty regularly since football started 4 1/2 weeks or so ago. I am hanging in my fantasy football league but beginning to HATE my defensive line/special team. Never EVER picking the Giants again. Sigh. okay. food. Pizza. Please ignore that. It was a tough weekend for me.  

If you, like me have never had kale on pizza before you might be pleasantly surprised. Honestly, my husband tolerated it, but my son and I ate it just fine. Actually, I thought it was amazing. But I eat green veggies all the time so warning to those this may be an acquired taste. Heck though if I could get my family to eat one of these pizzas twice a football season I think I would be feeling really good as a mom. 

This is one of the really approachable recipes because it starts with a store item = french bread. With the three melted cheeses, and crumbled sausage bits, and crunchy bread it might become one of your favorite pizzas too.  Dinner done in 20 minutes isn't a bad way to go either. Recipe was adapted from September 2012 Everyday Rachael Ray magazine. I used a different set of cheeses and made it a bit more family friendly. This is recipe number 13 of my challenge to make 30 Rachael Ray recipes. 



Ingredient list:
1 loaf of whole wheat french bread
1 lb of lean pork sausage
1/2 cup of red sauce (or your favorite pizza sauce)
1 oz thinly sliced or grated parm (about 1 handful)
2 oz of smoked Gouda cheese thinly sliced (about 8 thin slices)
1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
4 large kale leaves (stems removed)
2 Tbs chopped fresh thyme
salt & pepper (see below for amounts)
1/2-1 tsp oil 

Step 1:  In a large pot bring water and the kale to a boil. You want the water to be barely touching the kale about half way. Add 1/2 tsp salt. Cook it for 2 minutes on medium with a steady simmer of bubbles. 

Step 2: While kale is cooking. Grab a bowl and fill it with ice and water. You are going to immediately transfer the cooked kale to the bowl with a slotted spoon to stop the cooking process. Blot it with some paper towels or wring it out in paper towels to remove excess water. Set it aside.



Step 3: Preheat your oven to 400. 

Step 4: Cook your sausage with 1/2-1 tsp of oil and 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Should take about 5-6 minutes using a spoon or spatula to crumble it into small pieces. Have a paper towel lined plate to transfer it to, to cool slightly before adding it to the top of the pizza. 



Step 5:  Cut your loaf of bread open and place on a baking sheet. Start layering your ingredients on both sides. Spread the pizza sauce. Sprinkle the grated or sliced parm. Layer the sliced Gouda next approx 4 pieces per loaf. Layer the kale next slightly pulling it apart into pieces for easier eating. When the sausage is done, add that to the top of the kale. The mozzarella cheese & thyme is last but not least. The fresh thyme really is a fall smell for me and brings everything together. 

Step 6. Bake for about 10 minutes until it is golden, bubbly, and delicious looking.  Let it cool slightly before serving. 


Enjoy football and fall :) 
Happy pizza/veggie eating 
from my kitchen to yours

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel to comment about the pictures or recipe above. Looking forward to reading your comments. Happy reading, cooking, eating, and sharing good food!