Saturday, December 14

Turkey Green Salsa Pan- Fried Burritos

I did a little freezer cooking this week when I made these easy little things...Turkey Black Bean Green Salsa Pan Fried Burritos. They were quick to make, and used up some leftover turkey I had tucked away in the freezer from thanksgiving. Feel free to use some leftover chicken or shred up some cooked chicken in lieu of turkey. 



Freezer cooking has been something that I have gotten good at over the last year and half since my hubby took a night shift job. Freezer cooking lets me have something ready for him that he can reheat no matter what time he wants to eat. It also means that when I am not feeling well he or someone else or I can simply finish a meal I had already started. Real life moment.... I have had a ton of medical procedures done in the last six months and at least 4 of them have ended me on some sort of bed-rest or limited duty for a day or more. To say that it has been hard would be grossly understated. All baby stuff granted... not life or death. But it does make me stop and be thankful for meals like this that taste good the night you make it AND up to a month or two later after reheating them. Besides I needed a good reason to eat salsa verde. I love that stuff! 



Please customize these burritos to fit your taste buds.
Cook + Prep time: 15-20 minutes if you have 4 yr old helping
Recipe barely adapted from Good Cheap Eats


Ingredients:
2 cups leftover cooked turkey 
3 cups of shredded cheddar cheese, divided
7 oz salsa verde medium (this was half of a jar for me)
12 burrito size tortillas
2 - 15oz cans of organic black beans, drained and rinsed
sour cream
favorite toppings such as extra cheese, diced green onions, diced jalpenos, lettuce, chopped tomatoes, ect...



Directions:

  1. Combine turkey, 2 1/2 cup of cheese, black beans and salsa verde in a very large bowl. 
  2. Mix well. Can be a bit messy but do get your kiddos involved. Mine had a great time helping! 
  3. Spread out the 12 tortillas and put approx 1/2 cup of the bean turkey mixture in the center of each one. 
  4. Fold the burritos. Tucking in the sides as you fold over the top and roll to make a log shape out of the filling. 
  5. Put any filled tortillas you aren't going to cook into a labeled quart or gallon sized freezer bag. 
  6. In the ones you are going to cook first, put 1 Tbs sour cream for creamy texture and richness before folding. 
  7. In a large pan heat 1/2 Tbs oil. Use tongs to pan fry the burritos for about 5 minutes or so on each side until they are golden and heated through. 
  8. Serve hot and top with the remaining cheese so it can melt. Top melted cheese with another dollop of sour cream, and/or any additional toppings. Tastes great with chips, rice, or corn on the cob for side dishes.

from my kitchen to yours


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel to comment about the pictures or recipe above. Looking forward to reading your comments. Happy reading, cooking, eating, and sharing good food!