Lets talk about food.
Enter in a sandwich. But not just any sandwich. This Chicken Bacon Sub - baked until the cheese is melty and gooey. It tastes amazing and this gourmet sandwich has only 6 ingredients. So a gourmet sandwich, that tastes awesome, thats good for you, and that you can make with leftovers or common ingredients in 30 minutes or less. Sold to the woman with spit up on her shoulder. Ugh where did that come from. Yuck. Did I mention my sweet little son is teething. I had no idea teething was so messy. But seriously back to the sandwich with melted cheese and crunchy bacon - you'll love this. Your kids will love this. Your calendar and budget will be impressed too. Trust me.
Recipe adapted from one of my fav cookbooks: Not Your Mother's Make-Ahead Cookbook by Jessica Fisher
1. 5 or 6 whole wheat rolls (long oval shaped - I used bolillo rolls)
2. Cooked bacon one or two slice per sandwich
3. 1 stick of butter, softened
4. 1/4 tsp heaping of powdered garlic
5. 2 cooked chicken breasts diced or shredded or 2 cups (from another meal or chicken you picked up from the store)
6. 3 or 4 oz of Monterey Jack cheese (thinly sliced or shredded)
Foil - a torn rectangle for each sandwich
Oven preheated to 350 degrees F
Directions - This is just about assembling
1. Preheat your oven if you haven't already
2. Cook your bacon if you haven't already
3. Cut open your rolls halfway
4. Mix the butter with the garlic powder
5. Spread the garlic butter on the inside top and bottom of each roll - be generous!
6. Put one or two slices of bacon on the bottom of each sandwich.
7. Theres no right or wrong way to do the rest - you are just putting equal parts of cheese and chicken into each sandwich.... either layering it or shoving it in...
8. Roll each filled sandwich up with foil, tucking in the ends like a burrito
9. Set them in the oven - no pan needed unless you don't have oven mitts than a baking sheet would simplify it.
10. Toast each one up for 20-25 minutes. Pulling one out at after 20 minutes to check to see if the sandwich is heated all the way through and the cheese is melted.
11. Serve warm or hot with chips, veggies, or just eat the sandwich by itself (silently praying that the baby sleeps long enough of you to finish)
*If making these for a make-ahead meal, follow directions up to the point of putting them in the oven. Instead of the oven place the foil wrapped packages in a large ziplock freezer bag that has been label with the title and cooking temps. Defrost each sandwich fully in the fridge before baking and eating the make ahead sandwiches.