Friday, November 28

BBQ Chicken Chili - a fall favorite

While cooking this recipe, playing with new ingredients, I was reminded of how much I love this season. Fall. Warm comfort foods, healthy colorful veggies, and cold weather. Living in southern Az I cherish the cold weather like a friend. Its also a very busy season. I spent most of my fall in different hospital rooms so I am living up every last second until December comes and its officially winter. 

With the busy season, to keep my sanity at least slightly intact, I have a plan. The foods I begin to rely upon are things that reheat well if I make a large amount of servings, make ahead meals, freezer meals, and my favorite one pot meals that let me get out of washing a ton of dishes. 



So in honor of easy fall foods for our busy fall season, here is a bowl of chili. I have never used bbq sauce in chili before so this was really adventurous for me. I know I probably have been overlooking this easy addition for years but I live in a desert - its just not cold enough to eat chili very often. Give me a break. And Yes I have like a dozen other chili recipes on my blog but this one - this is the only one with bbq sauce and you must try it. It's crazy good! 


BBQ Chicken Chili
source: SkinnyTaste



Ingredients:

2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 red onion, approx 1 cup, diced

1 zucchini, diced
1 red pepper, approx 1 cup, diced
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 tablespoons smoked paprika
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon kosher salt
pinch of red pepper flakes
1 - 1 1/2 lbs raw boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs
(I used breast meat but both would be good)
1 can of white (northern or cannellini) beans, low sodium, drained and rinsed
1 can of black beans, low sodium, drained and rinsed
1 can of kidney beans, low sodium, drained and rinsed
4 cups of chicken stock or broth, store bought or homemade
2 14.5 oz cans of fire roasted diced tomatoes
1 cup of your favorite bbq sauce (my favorite is = jack daniels honey smokehouse bbq sauce)



Easy 5 step instructions
1. Saute the onion, zucchini, red pepper, and jalapeño in the oil for 5 minutes or until the veggies have softened in a large pot. 
2.  Add in all the seasonings and garlic and continue sautéing for another 3-5 minutes. 
3. Add in everything else. Cover the pot. Cook for 20 minutes over medium low heat
4. Remove the lid and the chicken. (Chicken should be fully cooked by now) Shred the chicken with two forks, and return the chicken back to the pot. Continue cooking for an additional 10 minutes. 
5. Serve immediately or cool completely to refrigerate for another night. It tastes good with shredded cheese, diced avocado, and cilantro on top of each stomach warming bowl. 

Happy fall to ya & holiday planning
Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel to comment about the pictures or recipe above. Looking forward to reading your comments. Happy reading, cooking, eating, and sharing good food!