Friday, October 26

Cheesy Pumpkin Veggie Pasta

To celebrate the upcoming Halloween holiday I picked up a yummy pumpkin dish. I actually wasn't sure about this one so I made with my son while my husband was at work - just incase it was flop. It was OUTSTANDING, which why its a new addition to my favorite fall recipes, AND why I wanted to share it with you. Pumpkin is not just for dessert. 



 Pumpkin Veggie Pasta
serves 3 adults

(Recipe adapted from Rachael Ray Magazine "Penne-Wise Pumpkin Pasta" October 2007 Page 103)

Step 1 Find all the ingredients 

5oz short pasta (whole wheat if you have it) 
2 Tbs olive oil
1 shallot finely chopped
1/2 Tbs chopped garlic
I carrot chopped (approx 2 oz)
1 stalk of celery chopped (approx 2 oz) 
1 boneless/skinless Chicken breast (approx 9 oz) 
1 cup chicken broth/stock (whatever you have)
8 oz pure canned or homemade pumpkin
1/4 cup half and half organic
1/4 tsp hot sauce
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
1/16 tsp or a light sprinkle of ground nutmeg
salt to taste ( I used 1/2 tsp course kosher) + salt for pasta water + salt on chicken
pepper to taste ( I used 1/4 tsp) + pepper sprinkled on the chicken
couple handfuls of grated cheddar cheese  


Step 2 Start cooking the boneless/skinless chicken breast in a bit of olive oil (1-2 Tbs) in a small skillet with just a sprinkling of salt and pepper over the top maybe 5 minutes each side. 


Step 3 Chop up the shallot and garlic (unless you do the jar stuff like I do) and drop them into a large skillet with 2 Tbs olive oil.


Step 4: Start boiling water in a pot for the pasta - salt it generously

Step 5: Start sauteing the shallot and garlic for about 5 minutes until everything gets soft. (med-low heat). 














Step 6: Chop celery & carrots and drop them into the large skillet. Cook for another 2-4 minutes. You want them to be tender-crisp. 




Step 7 Stir the half & half or heavy cream, chicken broth, and pumpkin puree into the sauteed veggies  until you get a rich thick yummy sauce. Check on the progress of the chicken in the small skillet.

Step 8 taste and add seasonings to sauce (nutmeg, hot sauce, cinnamon, salt, pepper) and stir again. Taste and adjust any seasonings (salt, pepper, + anything else) 



Step 9 drain pasta water and mix pasta with sauce


Step 10 if chicken is cooked through cut into tiny pieces and add to pasta mixture


Step 11 sprinkle, cover, or douse your pasta & delectable pumpkin sauce with grated Parmesan cheese and 
EAT! 







My son loved this meal & I had seconds


Hope you like it. From my kitchen to yours :) 
Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel to comment about the pictures or recipe above. Looking forward to reading your comments. Happy reading, cooking, eating, and sharing good food!