Friday, January 11

Homemade Pear Applesauce (freezer friendly)

Good morning or afternoon.... I don't have a recipe to share with you today. It is only 4 ingredients. Its one of those simple ideas that work well. So lets just call it a helpful hint. I am sharing it because I use it often. With the holidays just passed Thanksgiving, Christmas, New years, and having a wonderful guest, I found myself baking more than usual. When I bake cake, cookies, breads, and other things I am always looking for ways to limit sugar and use fresh ingredients and fruit and vegetables if I can manage.  (note: cookies with 3 different kinds of veggies that actually tasted amazing!) This hint does that.... increases fruit, increases nutrition, and helps me limit sugar. 

Homemade Pear Applesauce is today's helpful hint. I use it OFTEN while baking to help limit the amount of oil and sugar. It works wonderfully in this whole grain banana bread and gives the nutrition a boost using 3 fruits not just one. It works well in muffins. Last week I used it in this apple walnut coffee cake, it complemented and really increased the apple flavor. I use this whenever a recipe calls for store bought applesauce. I have used this recipe countless times as a good snack, for when my son was a toddler, or on top of waffles and pancakes. Lately I have used it to lighten my multi-grain waffle mix and inside my pancake mix. Click on the underlined titles above to see the recipe. 

This recipe is freezable with an exception. If you are going to bake or cook with it feel free to make a batch and freeze it in 1/2 cup - 1 cup increments in a good quality freezer quart size bag. If you are going to eat it as a snack or topping for something leave it in the fridge. It will be good in a cover container for 5-7 days I would guess. Mine never lasted more than 3 or 4 days. Freezing the cooked fruit makes the consistency change from solid and smooth to separated and watery. I have used some in the freezer as old as 3-4 months old and still tasted great.  It also is a super great way to save $. Apples are super cheap in the summer and fall - take advantage of that savings! 

PEAR APPLESAUCE

4 apples ( 2 sweet and 2 tart green apples, all of them peeled except one, all washed & sliced
4 pears, peeled, washed and sliced
water
2 Tbs ground cinnamon

See 4 ingredients. Super easy... Don't worry this won't make that super strong cinnamon tasting applesauce you get from the store. If you do want that strong flavor go ahead and add another Tbs of cinnamon. Don't worry about making the size of the apples and pears too small or the same size. They will all cook down. If you like super smooth applesauce go ahead and peel all of them and afterwards you can blend it with an immersion blender or food processor. I like having a tiny bit of chunk so I will leave the peel on at least one apple or more, and usually use just a potato masher to break up large chunks. Leaving the peel on makes it slightly more nutritious and well I like chunky applesauce. This is super forgivable and flexible. 

Cook the apples and pears in a sauce pan over medium heat. Fill the pan with enough water to cover the fruit completely. Let simmer away for 20-30 minutes until they are super soft. Stir occasionally but you don't have to babysit it. Usually I only stir once or twice. Once the sauce is the consistency you prefer go ahead and stir in the cinnamon and let it cool on the stove. It should be completely cooled before you put it in freezer bags or in a container with a lid in the fridge. 


Hope this hint is helpful :) 
Keep enjoying 2013!
From my kitchen to yours

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel to comment about the pictures or recipe above. Looking forward to reading your comments. Happy reading, cooking, eating, and sharing good food!