Wednesday, January 16

Smoky Tomatillo Relish


Okay its not summer yet. Its not even spring yet. It is a sunny, blue sky-ed, thirty five degree afternoon. I understand. It is just that my stomach isn't getting the message. Yes I have a problem. Here I am bundled up in jeans, sweater, and winter hat ( my hubby's) inside my house, and I am day dreaming about grilled steaks, grilled corn, grilled fish and chicken, and welll this relish. I made this last summer and it was excellent. So since I didn't want to freeze my butt off last night I tried it inside using a grill pan. The results were not quite as smoky but still delish!  Recipe was adapted from here, Rachael Ray magazine. 


What you need:
  • 1 tsp minced garlic
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp sugar
  • 1/4 cup light olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp apple juice
  • 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar 
  • 1/4 cup or a handful of cilantro
  • 3 tomatillos (approx 10 oz)
  • 1 jalapeƱo  I took the ribs and seeds out too keep it milder since I have a little guy
  • 1/2 of an yellow delicious or similarly sweet apple, finely diced
  • 1 small red onion
  • juice of 1 whole lime (mine probably yielded 1 1/2 Tbs) 
How to make it: 

  • Slice the red onion and tomatillos into thick large circles. Combine garlic, sugar, salt, olive oil, vinegar, juices, and finely chopped apple in a large bowl. Put the sliced onion and tomatilloes and stir them around so they are coated. Let the flavors combine in the fridge for 30 minutes. 
  • Grill the red onion and tomatilloes outside or inside. See the picture.
  • Put everything in a blender or food processor to dice everything but not puree it 30 seconds max. 
  • Serve it with chips, on burger, or hot dog or all three on a whole wheat bun/bread for an additional healthy punch.
  • Pretend that its warm outside and summer time. 




Even though its not summer
it can still taste like summer in your kitchen! 
From my Az kitchen to yours


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel to comment about the pictures or recipe above. Looking forward to reading your comments. Happy reading, cooking, eating, and sharing good food!