Saturday, August 24

Egg Tomato Breakfast Sandwich Melts

This fun breakfast idea is quick enough for early work or school mornings and will put the standard scrambled egg mundane breakfast into a brilliant new light. Most ingredients you probably already have and you can easily adapt to fit each kiddo or adults taste buds. Highlight those last few summer fresh tomatoes from your local grocery store or farmers market with this easy simple breakfast recipe. This original recipe is adapted from skinnytaste.com. Head on over there to check out other healthy options as I rather unhealthified her version hahaha. What can I say, egg whites first thing in the morning isn't going to cut it in my household.


Crunch into something yummy. Perfect Breakfast for my kiddo while recovering on the couch. 


Similar to my banana breakfast this is plate, fork, spoon, & bowl free. So go ahead and make it, hand out paper towels, and eliminate those pesky breakfast dishes with these cute muffin open faced sandwich melts. Yeah, I am looking out for you :)



So I made this two ways. One with fresh spinach and the other without. Both were delish! Makes enough for 2-4 people. My three yr old ate one and was full so it depends on whom you are feeding. I ate two and felt full with some berries.




Next time I am going to do it with bacon. Bacon and tomatoes just taste so good together. I suspect you could try a good number of different veggies to hide under the cheese and it would taste good similar to veggies tasting inside omelets.


Ingredients:
2 whole English Muffins, split in half (she originally used whole grains - I definitely recommend that. I caved and got sourdough)
3 whole eggs
2 scallions/green onions chopped
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 cup or so of shredded cheese, I used a Mexican combo already shredded for easy breakfast
1 roma tomato, sliced into 4 beautiful rounds
1 tsp olive oil

Directions:
1.Preheat your broiler
2. Put the muffins on a cookie/baking sheet cut side up
3. Toast them for 2 minutes until they start taking on color, then pull them out and set aside
4. In a small-medium sized skillet saute the green onion with the olive oil for 2-3 minutes
5. While onions are softening, scramble your eggs in a small bowl
6. Add the scrambled eggs to the onions. Add salt & pepper to the onions and eggs.
7. Stir and cook the eggs until set, fluffy, and done. Low-Medium heat probably 3-5 minutes.



8. Divide the eggs among the English muffins and top with the tomato and the cheese.
9. Put the muffins back into the oven to broil for another 1-2 minutes or until the tops are melted and golden.


Easy fun breakfast. Any morning in which I don't have to remind my son 
to stop playing with his fork or spoon (as they like to turn into rocket ships at the table) 
is a good morning for me! Lol

The first way I followed the directions above exactly. The second way I added fresh baby spinach 1/4-1/2 cup roughly chopped. I placed the spinach on top of the eggs and pinned it down under the tomato and yummy cheese. The spinach was slightly heated in the broiler but not overheated and wilting.


Enjoy. Happy mornings to ya 
(after you drink some coffee maybe)! 
From my kitchen to yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel to comment about the pictures or recipe above. Looking forward to reading your comments. Happy reading, cooking, eating, and sharing good food!