Wednesday, August 6

Kid-Friendly Snacks Part 1: Popsicles


My kiddo is back in school. So I am going to do a series of kid friendly snacks, treats, and ideas to bail you out if you don't want to rely upon the store bought and sometimes awful foods we feed our kids when life gets busy. These first two snacks are perfect as the summer comes to an end and berries are on sale everywhere. We have tried to pick a favorite over the last few days but it keeps coming up a tie. I guess we will have to keep making them both until we can come up with a winner. Darn. 

We start school earlier here compared to other parts of the Western United States. The weather apparently hasn't been told its back to school time though, as it is still incredibly hot outside, above 100 degrees. We made it through our first whole week of Kindergarden though - Yay! During my kiddo's first week the clouds cooled the weather down just below 100, only 1 day. So that one day of outside at recess made my kiddo was so happy, he is still talking about it 2 days later. 


Being new to this whole going to school thing, I admit, I had been somewhat apprehensive about what do while my son was gone. One week later.... I had no idea why I was so concerned. It was weird and relaxing all at the same time. I got dishes done, grocery shopping was done, read a few chapters in my book, and I watched tv that didn't include any dancing or talking animals. Amazing! 

But back to snacks....The weather still being hot dictated that we need cold yummy snacks to help cool us down. I am not talking about the kind that are for kids and have no real flavor or nutrients. Adult friendly too - is that an option? Yes. Thankfully. After braving the long lines of cars, getting in and out of the crazy maze of cones and cars at his school, I will need to have some snacks I enjoy too. I hope you enjoy them as much as we have. Please note that these popsicles have texture not recommended for babies without teeth.


4 Ingredient Strawberry - Kiwi Popsicles 

1/4 cup of white sugar
1/3 cup of cold water
1 lb/16 oz of fresh strawberries, trimmed and washed
1 kiwi, peeled and sliced
8 tiny (3-5oz) water cups
8 wooden popsicle sticks

Combine the water, fruit, and sugar in a food processor or blender. Blend until it resembles a smooth puree. Pour the puree into the cups and place in the freezer. They will fill up a 3oz cup to the top and 5oz cup half way. I found by putting them on a cookie sheet was an easy way to transport and not spill anything. Freeze for 30 minutes to 1 hour and then put the sticks in the center of each cup. Continue freezing for 7- 8 hours until they are solid. 

To eat: tear the paper cup off and throw it away. It should peel away easily but might be hard for little hands. My 5 yr old occasionally needs help opening his. 


Strawberry Orange Popsicles


1/4 cup of white sugar
1/3 cup of cold water
1 lb/16 oz of fresh strawberries, trimmed and washed
1 orange sliced into chunks
8+ tiny (3-5oz) water cups
8+ wooden popsicle sticks

The directions are the same as before. This makes more than 8 popsicles and larger popsicles than the previous ones depending on the size of cup you use.


Combine the water, fruit, and sugar in a food processor or blender. Blend until it resembles a smooth puree. Pour the puree into the cups and place in the freezer. I found by putting them on a cookie sheet was an easy way to transport and not spill anything. Freeze for 30 minutes to 1 hour and then put the sticks in the center of each cup. I found by putting the sticks in a bit after they had started freezing will ensure that the sticks don't fall over after you leave them in the freezer. Continue freezing for 7- 8 hours until they are solid. 


Enjoy!
Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel to comment about the pictures or recipe above. Looking forward to reading your comments. Happy reading, cooking, eating, and sharing good food!