1/4 cup of sugar
2 Tbs brown sugar for the topping
zest of half of a lemon*
1/2 Tbs lemon juice*
1 cup of whole wheat white flour
1/8 tsp of salt
1/2 Tbs baking powder
1/8 cup of vegetable shortening (Crisco) I just eyeballed it
2 Tbs of unsalted butter, organic
1/4 cup of milk
*Tastes best if you use fresh lemon so grab a lemon at the store for like a quarter. Then wash really good. Dry it. Zest it. Then slice it and drizzle the fresh lemon juice into your bowl cut side up so the seeds stay with the lemon.
1. Preheat your oven to 425.
2. In a bowl combine blackberries, the white sugar, lemon zest, and lemon juice
3. In another bowl, combine almost everything else starting with the flour and butter and shortening. The mixure at first will be crumbly as you combine/work the butter and veg shortening into the flour. You can use your hands, a pastry blender or if you are sort of lazy or sleep deprived like me you can pulse it a few times with your food processor. Then add in the milk, egg and mix it together.
5. Spread the berry mixture out into the dish.
6. Spread the wet dough out across the berries. Its slightly difficult to work with but will turn out great no matter if there are gaps where you can still see some berries.
8. Bake for 30 minutes. Should be golden and delicious. Let it cool for about 3-5 minutes and serve it with your favorite ice cream or whipped cream.
9. Enjoy the smiles afterwards from friends and family.
Easy & good
Perfect for celebrating the end of summer!
From my kitchen to yours
|I liked strawberry ice cream on top of mine ;)|