Saturday, December 1

Turkey Stew - Thanksgiving Style

a picture my son colored for me
Even though it is December 1st today and no longer November, my month of yummy soup recipes, here is another yummy soup/stew recipe. Its great for using up some leftover turkey or even leftover shredded cooked chicken. I have bought a turkey breast (they do sell them year around) just to make this recipe. Its that good. Trust me. 

If you haven't ever had a rutabaga this recipe is a great first try! Its richer than a potato, but white like a potato (if you have picky kiddos - shhh they won't be able to tell the difference), are a great source of fiber, good source of minerals and surprise vitamin C! So if you need some soup because you (among many are sick) be sure not to skip the funny purple white vegetable. 



Ingredients: (think fall veggies)
  • 1 brown russet potato - scrub skin well - roughly chopped
  • 1 large carrot - scrub skin - roughly chopped
  • 1 rutabaga - peeled with a pairing knife - roughly chopped
  • 3 ribs of celery - roughly chopped
  • 1/2 onion - finely chopped 
  • 1 yam or sweet potato - peeled and rough chop
  • water/flour mixture for thickening: in a separate cup or bowl combine 2 Tbs all purpose flour and 1/4 cup water 
  • 4 cups of chicken or turkey stock homemade or store bought
  • 1 cup of turkey or chicken per person ( I used 3 cups/ 9 oz)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp old bay seasoning
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/2 tsp dried ground sage

Cooking Hint: See the picture to the right? It is a freezer bag where I put the ends and tops of the veggies I cut up for soup. When I am done with all the chopping I just put the air out of the bag and it goes into the freezer. Not only does this save time when I need veggies to make homemade stock/broth but it saves money. 
Don't throw out veggies that you can use later.  

Directions for the Thanksgiving Style - Turkey Stew
1. Saute the veggies in 2 tsp olive oil for 4-5 minutes in a large pot

2. Add the spices, chicken or turkey broth, and 1/2 cup of water

3. Bring to a boil then drop the heat to medium heat for 15-20 minutes

4. Add another 1/2 cup of water and the shredded turkey

5. Continue heating through approx 5 minutes on medium low - stir occasionally

6. To the pot add the water/flour mixture and stir occasionally until it starts to thicken and heats through. I let this go longer (like 10 minutes) on low since I was waiting for these yummy biscuits (Parm Basil Biscuits) to come out of the oven. But as soon as it thickens taste for seasonings and its ready. My turkey broth was well seasoned so I didn't need to add salt or pepper. 

Serve hot with some biscuits, crackers, or crusty bread 

Enjoy! 
From my Az kitchen to yours



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel to comment about the pictures or recipe above. Looking forward to reading your comments. Happy reading, cooking, eating, and sharing good food!