Wednesday, April 17

Turkey Cran Monte Cristo Sandwiches

Hey all. Hope your week is coming along. Have you ever had breakfast for dinner? My husband used to make a sport of this... requesting pancakes and waffles for dinner on a regular basis. He works nights now so that's not really an issue anymore. But if you are craving a dinner/breakfast - try this!! This heated savory/sweet sandwich is AWESOME. The crunchy bread with the spices remind you of breakfast, and then you are hit with the creamy cheese and the semi tart/semi sweet cranberries.... a party of flavors. 



Just incase I am not being convincing enough... this sandwich is a great way to use up leftover thanksgiving turkey or in my case Easter turkey, and it is a lighter dinner choice too - which is perfect for spring. I saw this on pintrest and tracked it down to its original, a Paula Deen recipe. She makes awesome food. Click here to see her recipe. This is not an exception even with the changes I made to fit my family. If the promise of a amazing sandwich doesn't thrill you.... how about a 10 minute dinner from fridge to table meal? Not exaggerating... ten minutes tops.   

Makes 2 Sandwiches - Easily doubled or Halved

Ingredients

1 Tbs butter, unsalted, organic if you have it
4 pieces of bread (thicker works better) 
1 egg
1/4 cup milk (I used 2% - use whatever you have)
1 dash of nutmeg
1 dash of cinnamon
1 dash of salt
1 dash of black pepper
4 oz of creamy Havarti cheese thinly sliced or shredded
1/2 cup of fresh baby spinach (about 20 pieces)
4 Tb cranberry sauce ( 2 per sandwich)
6 oz of turkey from the deli or leftover from Turkey Dinner (ie... Thanksgiving or Easter)

Warning... This was the messiest thing I have made in the kitchen in a long time. I had scrambled egg everywhere LOL. I was like how on earth you do coat these very full sandwiches... I had cheese falling out, cranberries falling out, and turkey falling.... So I wish you the luck. It is worth the extra effort. I promise. 


Mix the milk, spices and egg together in a flat dish. 
Heat the butter in a large skillet.
While the butter is melting put some cranberry sauce on each side of the bread for the first sandwich.
Then put the cheese on both sides of the sandwich. 
Then put the meat on one side of the sandwich and the spinach on the other side. 
Carefully shut the sandwich and dip it into the egg mixture. 
Coat both sides with the egg mixture. 
Then put it in the pan and cook over medium for 3-4 minutes. 
Repeat with the second sandwich. Flip the sandwiches when they become golden and the cheese is melted. Don't be too concerned if stuff falls out... stuff it back in :) 

Serve with fresh fruit or veg! Perfect warm weather Brunch, Lunch or Dinner.

There easy. Messy. Simple. Fun. Tasty. Perfect for weekend brunch or dinner. I know my hubby has this weird thing about cranberries so I will definitely make this again just avoiding cranberries for him. Yes absolutely. It was so delicious. Too bad the sandwich thing kinda prevents eating seconds ;) See perfect for spring and getting back into shape. There are no seconds.... This could be a problem! Hahaha. 

Enjoy
From my kitchen to yours


Related Recipes:




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel to comment about the pictures or recipe above. Looking forward to reading your comments. Happy reading, cooking, eating, and sharing good food!