Friday, June 21

Breakfast: Brown Sugar Bacon Waffles

I love breakfast foods.... If I could get away with it (via the scale) I would eat breakfast foods for breakfast and lunch every single day. I would eat burritos, waffles, egg sandwiches, bagels & cream cheese, gallons of coffee with silky half and half, bacon, sausage, delish chorizo egg dishes, pan fried pork chops, fried eggs, english muffins, chocolate chip muffins, breakfast breads/sweet breads/coffee cakes (banana/ chocolate walnut banana/apple/pear), cinnamon rolls, pumpkin donuts, 3 grain walnut pumpkin pancakes (Yum!), pumpkin french toast, delish whole grain berry french toast, breakfast pizza, cheesy bacon pull apart bread, or more exotic pastries.... and I would probably weigh a hundred pounds more. Seeing all the links above, you probably see my problem. I have quite a breakfast section here on my blog. This infatuation with breakfast might also be the reason why I go to the gym. Is there a 12 step program for this? Although, not sure I would go if there was a program for my slightly obsessive bacon carbs fun exciting breakfast driven addiction. My family is visiting from the beautiful rainy state of Washington, which is a perfect time to splurge and exericise later, right? Yes. I agree.


Here's where I introduce you to the best waffles I have ever had. They aren't usual incredibly healthy multi grain ones that I usually make... these have tons of milk, bacon, salt, sugar, and are forever going to be my favorite waffle. That being said. I did tweak the original a bit to make it a tiny bit more healthy..... I cut the oil in half, added a banana, cut the brown sugar just a little, and only used 4 pieces of bacon. I  have trouble following directions. Its a fact. Ask my husband.




Bacon Brown Sugar Waffles 

4 pieces of bacon raw
1 Tb brown sugar (for the bacon) 
2 eggs
2 cups whole wheat white flour
1 3/4 cup 1% milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil or melted butter 
4 tsp baking powder
1 really ripe mushy black banana
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract or  2 tsp maple extract for maple flavored waffles
2 Tbs brown sugar or equal parts maple syrup for a fall taste

possible toppings: butter, fresh sliced strawberries, syrup, powdered sugar, 
chopped nuts, and/or whipped cream + whatever sounds good


1. Mix together the eggs, milk, vanilla, and vegetable oil. Whisk until fluffy. 

2. Cook the bacon until almost crisp on one side on the stove. Flip it. Sprinkle 1 Tb brown sugar over the top of the bacon. Keep it on this side until the bacon is done. Let it cool and then break into small pieces. Or do it in the oven at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes and sprinkle the brown sugar on 3/4ths way through. Just keep an eye on it. 

3. Add in the rest of the ingredients to the batter. Stir until combined. Will be thick batter. Fold in the bacon and some of the bacon drippings (wink). Its okay. Just go with it. 

4. Heat up your waffle maker. One of these days I need to buy a cute one that makes heart shapes something fun instead of my single two square one that I bought for $5 someplace when I was 18. Yikes over a decade ago. Yeah thats lets not talk about that. 

5. Cook your waffles and enjoy with your fav toppings. Then make a tent in your living room to burn off the fat and sugar. It will all even out.










Store any leftovers in fridge or in a freezer bag in the freezer. 
Enjoy your next breakfast!
From my kitchen to yours



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel to comment about the pictures or recipe above. Looking forward to reading your comments. Happy reading, cooking, eating, and sharing good food!