Saturday, September 7

Flour-Free, Corn-Free, Sugar-Free Taco Seasoning Mix



Greetings! This post is elementary, but I think its helpful just the same. Saturdays should be relaxed anyways right? Just nod and follow along it will be an easy ride, I promise. No huge 3 course meals in this post. 


As a novice cook, it never occurred to me that the "helpful" single serving flavor packets on the seasoning isle at the grocery store, aren't as good as they seem. Here are a several reasons why I am so passionately against them.


1. They have more salt than whats needed for most recipes. Save that extra sodium for that bag of popcorn at the movie theatre. Salt highlights and improves every flavor SO use it in meaningful ways like eating bacon.


2. The store bought packets actually contain sugar. What is sugar doing in there? Like with salt... I think we should be saving sugar for better things like ice cream or coffee or brownies. 


3. Some of them don't even list everything that they contain by using words like "flavorings" or even "natural flavors". Thanks but no thanks. No mystery flavors please. 


So why did I ever buy these problematic packets? Ignorance and time. It takes time to measure out the spices in each packet. I didn't know enough about cooking to understand how much extra money I was spending by not making my own. I didn't know what spices were used for what dishes. And I was way too reliant upon the little mystery packets. 


This recipe (below) is my solution to the time problem. It saves time because it makes a huge jar full - about 80-90 servings of taco seasoning mix. The jar is good for a year but I haven't ever had it last that long! 


It was important to me to have the "cleanest" seasoning blend possible to fit my family so I made sure it had no sugar and lots of great spices. It's mild because I didn't want it too spicy for my family - which is easy to tweak if you want it hot.  Its perfect for most proteins: chicken, beef, bison, or fish.


Stephanie's Mild Taco Seasoning Blend
Recipe is adapted from allrecipes.com
good for 1 year kept in a clean used or new jar with tight fitting lid

3/4 cup + 1 tsp mild chili powder (add 1-2 tsp for more heat)
2/3 cup + 2 tsp smoked paprika 
1/3 cup + 2 Tbs granulated onion powder, toasted or regular
3 Tbs + 2 1/4 tsp sea salt, fine ground
3 Tbs + 1 tsp granulated onion powder
3 Tbs + 2 1/4 tsp ground cumin
3 Tbs + 1 tsp of Mexican oregano or regular if in a pinch
1 Tbs ground black pepper (add 1-2 tsp for more heat)
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (add 1 tsp for more heat)
1/4 tsp chipotle powder (add 1 tsp for more heat)

Directions: Mix it all together into a used, clean, completely dry jar with a lid. Store in a clean dry place. 

Uses: 
1. Use as a rub... rub it on meat and grill, fry, or bake it. 
2. Use as a marinade with some oil and let the meat hang out in the fridge. 
3. Use as taco seasoning on ground meat. Add the seasoning mix (1-2 Tbs per pound of meat) to browned crumbled meat with cold water (1/2- 1 cup of water/per pound of meat). Stir it around with the spatula, bring it to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 3-5 minutes until sauce has thickened and water has decreased by half or so. These measurements are estimates based on my own family's preferences. 

Click below on the recipes' titles to find 5 additional ways to use THIS truly helpful make ahead spice blend:

Tacos In A Sleeping Bag (freezer friendly)


Enjoy & Have a great weekend!
from my Az kitchen to yours



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel to comment about the pictures or recipe above. Looking forward to reading your comments. Happy reading, cooking, eating, and sharing good food!