Tuesday, October 1

Sausage & Pepper Bacon Breakfast Muffins


Hi. It's Tuesday. Tuesdays in my house are like Saturdays - you never know what is going to happen. My hubby is off from work & school, and there is no football on tv. So yeah. We started off early doing some yard maintenance, and I had like 4 cups of coffee before 9am. I got to work a huge sucker power tool mulch thing. When it was on high, the suction was so strong it almost over powered me. It was hard for me to keep it off the ground. Crazy power tool. It was fun though walking around, being noisy, sucking up all the leaves and trimmings my hubby was creating. We were a good team. In any case I had a good morning. I heart coffee. Maybe I should lay off the higher caffeine doses before operating power tools? You are probably right. After that we celebrated a clean pretty yard with some zucchini cinnamon rolls - totally worth all the struggle with the power tool. 


To celebrate fall and falling leaves here's my tenth Rachael Ray recipe :)  It is from her August 2007 magazine Everyday. Perfect for busy mornings whether you are out cleaning up your yard, dropping kiddos off at school, or waiting with them while they catch a bus in the cold. It is easy to make in advance the night before. I haven't froze them so I don't know if they are freezer friendly. But you should definitely enjoy a hot breakfast that doesn't have to come thru a drive thru window... welllll unless its coffee ;) 



Breakfast Sausage & Bacon Muffins
prep time + baking time: approx 40 minutes

Ingredients:
2 cups of whole wheat white flour
1 Tbs sugar + 1 1/2 tsp sugar
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp pepper
2 slices of pepper bacon (or your favorite kind) coarsely chopped
8 oz of pork sausage cooked
1 1/4 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 cup frozen corn
1 thick slice of onion, approx 3 oz, finely diced
2 Tbs unsalted butter (divided)
1 egg, lightly beaten

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a 12 muffin tin with paper muffin liners. I sprinkled 1/4 tsp or so a pinch of corn meal on the bottoms of each liner for texture. 

2. In a large bowl combine all the dry ingredients. 

3. Sauté the bacon, and onion in 1 Tb of butter together over medium heat until the bacon is crisp and the onion tender. Cook your sausage in a separate pan if you need to still do so. Should take 5-10 minutes. Stir often. 

4. Stir the corn into the dry ingredients. 

5. Combine the wet ingredients together (buttermilk, egg, sausage, bacon, and remaining butter melted)

6. Briefly stir or fold the wet ingredients into the dry. Make sure everything is just homogeneous and then fill the liners equally. I found a 1/4 cup of batter fit pretty evenly for me. 

7. Bake for about 20-22 minutes. The muffin tops should be golden and when a toothpick is inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool slightly before serving. Keep any extras for the next day in a covered air tight container or food storage bag. 

Enjoy fall :)
From my kitchen to yours



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel to comment about the pictures or recipe above. Looking forward to reading your comments. Happy reading, cooking, eating, and sharing good food!