Monday, November 19

three grain walnut pumpkin pancakes


pancakes. waffles. french toast. warm syrup. early mornings that I get all to myself. the smell of coffee brewing. pumpkin coffee. the smell of bacon baking in the oven. surprise coffee drinks that my hubby picks up on his way home from the work early in the morning. my huby taking my son out to breakfast so I can sleep in. flowers. mondays mornings (our saturdays). these are a few of my favorite things.

Speaking of breakfast there is a ton of fun places to go out to brunch or breakfast. Every once in awhile we also have breakfast food for dinner just because. So here is an awesome recipe to remind you that you don't need reservations for lunch or dinner when you have this handy recipe for pancakes.

My dad taught me how to make pancakes when I was young like 10 or something. I have been making them ever since. Its very easy. I can make it with my eyes closed, usually without measuring the ingredients. Pancakes are extremely forgivable and flexible - which is perfect for breakfast time when the caffeine in the coffee I am drinking hasn't woken me up yet.

There are 3 steps to these AWESOME 3 grain walnut pumpkin pancakes.

First: Combine all these dry ingredients in one bowl:
1/3 cup oat flour
1/3 cup corn meal flour
2/3 cup all purpose unbleached flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbs sugar
1 Tbs baking soda
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg

Second: Add in these wet ingredients to the same bowl:
1 egg
1 cup water
1/2 tsp oil
1/3 cup pumpkin puree


Note:  Many recipes will tell you to use different bowls to make sure they are all combined - if you stir really well you can skip this step. You might lose some lightness of the eggs when they are beaten separately but one less thing to wash is worth skipping this step for me.


Third: cook the pancakes for approximately 2-3 minutes on each side.  I have a couple tricks like make sure your pan is hot before you start, don't leave the kitchen while waiting 2 minutes goes fast, wait for bubbles forming before you flip, and last use a measuring spoon to pour pancakes so they are all the same size AND you don't have to wash anymore spoons.

Add a handful (1/8 cup) of chopped walnuts to the uncooked side to each pancakes - see picture for further explanation. The 2-3 minutes per side rule is an approximation depending on the size of the pancakes.



This recipe makes just over 2 cups of batter. For my family that means 4 adult sized pancakes and 2 smaller ones. The recipe is easily doubled or trippled. It saves well in the fridge for a couple days covered in a bowl or with plastic wrap. After a few days, it thickens just a little. You will need to add liquid (water or milk) to bring it back to the desired consistency. So save time, and make a double batch so you have "make ahead" breakfast or brunch later in the week.

Special thanks to the hubby for helping me with these so I could cook & take pictures at the same time. Hopefully next time I will remember to take some pictures of the end product before we start eating (wink, wink).

I hope you like them as much as we did! 
from my kitchen to yours





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel to comment about the pictures or recipe above. Looking forward to reading your comments. Happy reading, cooking, eating, and sharing good food!