Thursday, December 27

HOMEMADE veggie (butternut squash) "Potato" Chips



HOMEMADE veggie (butternut squash) "Potato" Chips

I have been wanting to try this idea of homemade veggie chips for awhile. Having burgers for dinner was a good excuse. 


The end result of trying something completely new like this was... Yum! They tasted great! I wasn't too thrilled that I couldn't rush it very much. You really need an afternoon to just let them crisp up. I usually don't have that kind of time except on weekends. The crunchier and more dried out they get the better they tasted. I was able to make 3 small handfuls (perfect side for 3 people) that complemented our burgers. This will definitely be a "go to" side dish for burgers, hot dogs, and others.  I got the idea from pintrest.com,  but I couldn't locate the direct link. (Paprika was my idea since I love flavored chips). 


Ingredients:

1 butternut squash neck, peeled, and cut as thinly as you can (mine was 8 oz)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp olive oil


Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 250 degrees (low & slow) 

2. Cut & peel your squash (the straight neck part only) 


3. In a bowl combine and coat the squash with the oil and all the seasonings except the paprika.


4. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper. 

5. Lay the squash circles flat, and sprinkle half of them with the paprika for contrast


6. Bake for 1 hour


7. Pull it out of the oven and use a fork or fingers to turn the squash over. Bake for another 45 minutes or until dark and crunchy like chips

8. Eat! 



Hope this makes your next burger night or sandwich lunch special. Enjoy!
From my family to yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel to comment about the pictures or recipe above. Looking forward to reading your comments. Happy reading, cooking, eating, and sharing good food!