Sunday, May 1

Veggie Sausage Rice Skillet

Yeah it has been awhile since I have posted new content. BUT. After 7+ long months of being absent from new recipes, I had to share this one. This one saved my evening. I made this easy skillet one pot (sort of) thing for dinner tonight, and the result was like a locust swarm descended upon my kitchen table. Usually that means:
a) I should make this again, 
b) it tastes good, 
c) my two little guys are in the middle of a growth spurt, 
d) all of the above.... 
(ding) the correct answer is D

So I have two growing boys, and a husband who doesn't really care for sandwiches. He says they aren't really filling. yada. yada. yada. Then of course it has to be somewhat toddler-friendly. Sometimes cutting things very small works for him. Sometimes it fails in a really bad... wait for it.... let-me-throw-food-at-you-and-all-over-floor... type of way. Hello parenting. Then he cries because he's hungry and I just give in to whatever he'll keep down like crackers and cheese. 

P.S. If you are wondering...I have been making my top 5 of my favorites over and over again. Repetition is one of the keys I found to surviving having a newborn and teething not sleeping adorable baby. Here are some links to my favorites. You def should try these. 

Black Refried Beans (from scratch),
and 


After all that.... here's that previously mentioned lifesaver recipe. Super easy to follow. Super easy to make. Tons of healthy veg cleverly hid under a ton of cheese. Great for kids and tired parents :) Enjoy.



Veggie Sausage Rice Skillet 

Serves 4-6  Total time 20-25 minutes
recipe adapted from hillshire farm magazine advertisement

Ingredients
1/2 red pepper, diced small
1/2 onion, diced small
small can of tomato sauce
1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp oregano
1 zucchini, diced small
2 and half - 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1 pkg of frozen broccoli, defrosted or not (if you forget)
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 & 1/2 pkg of beef smoked sausage, diagonally sliced
3 cups of white or brown rice cooked

Easy Directions with matching pictures: 






1. Heat the olive oil and lay sliced sausage down in a deep skillet. Over medium heat brown the sausage. If all the sausage doesn't fit no worries just push it to the side when you see color to make room for the rest. After one side is browned on most of them continue with step 2.

2. Lower the heat just a little and add in the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds. Stir often. 

3. Add in the red pepper. 

4. Add in the onion. 

5. Add in the defrosted broccoli

6. Sauté all the veggies together for approx 10 minutes until veggies are tender crisp. 

7. Add in the tomato sauce, seasonings, and water. Stir again. 

8. Add in the cooked rice. Stir really really good. 

Note: If you don't have any leftover rice. Just start some white rice on the stove when you start the recipe and it will be done in time to add it here. Or cheat and use the microwave stuff. I think I have heard some good things nowadays about brown rice.

9. Sprinkle the cheese over the entire skillet and serve it when the cheese is melted.   



That's all folks
Take it easy



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel to comment about the pictures or recipe above. Looking forward to reading your comments. Happy reading, cooking, eating, and sharing good food!